Aviary Application Process

We are participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program, an affiliate advertising program design to provide a mean for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliate sites. In addition, this site may contain other affiliate links to other products or services. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links at no additional cost to you.

Application Directions

Name: The name section is the owner of the property’s name or a representative such as a manager of the business or a tax representative legally that is allowed to represent the interest of the fee simple owner. The tenant does not have the legal right only if they are responsible for the taxes on the lease.

Phone: Include the contact number of the owner or someone that has access to the property on behalf of the owner.

Parcel ID: Write in the parcel ID instead of the legal description. The legal description makes finding the property almost impossible for the researcher. The parcel ID can be found by looking up your property on the property appraiser’s website.

Land Used Primarily for Agricultural Purposes Section: If you do not see your specific use in this section, your use would be written in the other box. Circle or simply indicate which use you are applying for by writing in the box to the right the number of acres you’re applying for. The next box to the right is indicates how long you have been active in this particular agricultural use.

The Agricultural Income from this Property: Specify the year and what Ag use such as poultry or cattle. The gross income is how much money in total was made that year. Your expenses are what you had to pay to keep that use going. Your net income is the gross income minus the expenses.

Under the Agricultural Income Section is the Date Purchased and the Purchase Price. The purchase price isn’t as important as the date purchased but it may be helpful to the Appraiser’s Office to know this information.

A Tangible Account is a business account filed with the Property Appraiser. This is a good indication there is a business on the property. It is not a necessity, but you would know if you filed or not. Answer “no” if you do not have a business tax account with the Property Appraiser.

The next question: Is the property leased to others? If there is any lease on the property, including a residential lease or a beekeeping lease, the answer is “yes”.

Has the property been rezoned to a non-agricultural use at the request of the owner? In other words, if the property was zoned Agricultural/Residential (AR) or just Agricultural, and you as the owner put in a request to the Department of Building and Zoning to change the zoning code to say, commercial, it’s very possible that agricultural use could be an illegal use and disqualify you from acceptance. Again, you would know if you changed the zoning.

There is a small area to file out that indicates the year you are applying for so make sure this is completed.

Sign and date your application. Make a copy of it and when you send it or drop it off, get a receipt of some sort to prove when you applied should there be any issues down the road.

Application deadlines are March 1 in the year of which you are applying (FL Statute 193.461 (3.a). Again, the application can be found here.


Once the application is submitted, you need to prove use is and was on the property on January 1. Try and take photographs of the use as close to January 1st as possible for documentation. Time and date stamp your photos if possible.

If you are just getting started then enclosures will surely be needed. Be sure to look at the aviary selections below by clicking on the pics.

Other accessories for the birds include:


The property appraiser will typically give an Agricultural Classification on whatever lands are used. The more land used may result in more Agricultural Classified Lands. If the Ag Classification will save you money (check out the Ag Analysis Calculator) try and apply for all the acres on the property to see what you can get. Why limit your tax savings?

There are three important steps to determine what kind of permit is needed if one is even needed according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Determine the Scientific Name of Your Species, Determine How Your Species / Specimen is Protected, and Discover Which Application You Need. There are some important links on this website so be sure to check this out so you aren’t breaking any federal laws.

Florida Fish and Wildlife requires permits for wildlife possession, exhibition and sale of any non-domesticated wildlife species that do not appear on the list of Class I or Class II wildlife are considered Class III which includes most birds. A few birds do land in other classes:

• The cassowary, a large flightless bird, is in Class II, for potentially dangerous species
• Game birds such as turkey or quail that will be kept on a hunting preserve for hunting purposes requires a game farm license. A license is not required for possession of 50 or fewer live bob white quail or non-native game birds (except non-native ducks and geese) possessed for personal use, consumption, educational, or possession of game bird eggs for consumption.
• Falconry has a separate permit. According to the website “The only way to get a course in falconry is to secure and study under a sponsor falconer, who is willing to take you on as an apprentice for two consecutive years and several thousand hours of documented mentoring. You may apprentice under a general or master falconer. When you have the required experience, you will take and pass a very difficult state administered Falconry exam at a regional service center.”
J. Wildlife and Migratory Bird Rehabilitation application which is used for Operating Wildlife Rehabilitation Facilities.

These are some additional suggestions:
1) Have a business plan. One can be found Business License Application process for the State of Florida
3) I would encourage those seeking this classification to become part of the American Federation of Aviculture or the Florida Federation of Aviculture.
4) Legal documentation can be found through Law Depot (click this affiliate link to receive a 10% discount on online legal forms)

Always make sure to claim any profits or losses on your yearly income taxes too. If you are running a business and making money, then you may want to keep track of the earning and spending. The accounting will be easier come tax season. Let’s face it, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CHQ19J6/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B09CHQ19J6&linkCode=as2&tag=myfloridawebs-20&linkId=069b75d7ab98209ffc14c2fdababff02">QuickBooks Desktop Premier Plus 2022 Accounting Software for Small Business 1-Year Subscription with Shortcut Guide [PC Disc]QuickBooks is the leader in accounting software. If you are starting your business and don’t want to part with a couple hundred dollars on Quickbooks software, I recommend MyInvoices & Estimates Deluxe. The software can create invoices, logos, and can calculate taxes.